Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Brunophile


Sorry I've been busy fitting life into my Bruno schedule and I've fallen behind in my Brunoblog.

Bruno's checkup Tuesday went well. His eyes are on the mend at last. We discovered that he had a small surface ulcer on his right eye which is probably why he bothered it to begin with. We have different eye creams to apply and are hopeful that by his Saturday checkup the ulcer will show significant improvement.


I realize from the kind words of encouragement I've received since the last blog that I was feeling a bit overwhelmed and worried about Bruno. In keeping up with his various health issues here, I've neglected to convey how truly rewarding it has been to spend time with this magnificent being. Bruno is gentle and even tempered and loving. He is even cheerful when he's not chock full of painkillers. He plays well with our beagle/pointer/hound mix Greta and would probably get along with our cat, Gunther, if he wasn't completely fried by Bruno's presence. He's merely curious when folks come to the front door, and though a bit shy of men he meets, if they are gentle in their approach, he responds in kind. He's great with my 9 year old son.


He is still learning to be housebroken, but has the basic concept. If I don't pay attention to his signals or throw off the schedule too much, he has accidents in the kitchen. But he is not marking furniture.


Bruno loves to have his head scratched and will come up and lay his head in your lap for attention. He's doing pretty well at sitting on command and comeing and going on his leash as requested. We're going to start walks again now that he's feeling better--weather permitting. Since he sees so much better, he's noticing things he never saw before. On Saturday at the vet, he notices the little iron sculptures on the wall for the first time. I am quite curious to see what walks will be like now that he can see what's going on across the street, down the block, etc.


Bruno had a visit with Patrick, who is interested in adopting him. We're going to do another visit this weekend with Patrick, his roommate, and his roommate's dog, Waylen. My major reservation is that Patrick has not yet committed to staying in St. Louis the rest of Bruno's natural life.


I am numb from exhaustion and so will end here. Again, much thanks to everyone's generous support and encouragement. And very special thanks to Kingsbury Animal Hospital where everyone has gone above and beyond the call of duty to give this incredible American bulldog a chance at a happy, long life.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never had the pleasure of meeting you or your family, but I must say you are obviously wonderful people. It never ceases to amaze me how much compassion lies within the human spirit. You have taken on quite a task and are handling it splendidly.

Thank you for all that you are doing for Bruno. People like you, and dogs like him, don't come around very often...but when they do, they touch lives in ways that will never be forgotten.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, a million times over, thank you.

Bright blessings,
Megan C.
aka stlouiemeg

Anonymous said...

I logged onto the Left Bank Books website with the intention of finding information on an upcoming book signing, but got lost instead in the welcomed diversion that is the story of Bruno. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of the compassion and kindness you have exhibited while nursing this amazing dog back to good health.

Being a Stray Rescue volunteer and commonly seeing the dogs come into the shelter as products of either neglect and or abuse, it is refreshing and promising to see such love, dedication, and hope in the human spirit.

This is exactly what community is all about, what you have done for Bruno. One thing for certain, I will wonder about Left Bank Books no longer and look forward to becoming a patron of your business. I will pray that Bruno finds his forever home soon!

Sally S.